This clinical subspeciality of Paediatric medicine (Age group: 0-18 yr) deals with kidney and lower urinary tract diseases in children. In our country with population of more than 1 billion, children contribute to 40 % of this population. Kidney diseases in children may go unrecognized in the absence of specific symptoms. But signs like facial puffiness, recurrent fever episodes due to urinary tract infection, persistence of headache (High blood pressure), blood in urine suggests consultation with concerned doctor.
Recognize the hidden illness
- CAKUT: Congenital Abnormality of Kidney and Urinary Tract and hereditary nephropathies contribute to 2/3 of all Chronic Kidney Diseases in children. CAKUT include renal agenesis, multi-cystic dysplastic kidney, renal dysplasia, duplex, ectopic ureter.
- Diagnosis by antenatal or postnatal Ultrasonography & other radiological investigations.
- Need regular follow up as child can later have urinary tract infections or growth failure due to chronic concerns.
Nephrotic syndrome is a common illness in paediatric nephrology clinic. Child present with swelling around eyes, face and generalized body swelling due to persistent loss of protein in the urine.
The other childhood kidney concerns are:
- Bed wetting in children
- Blood in the urine (hematuria)
- Hypertension in children
- Excessive thirst & urination (polyuria)
- Rickets (Bony deformity)
- Poor growth with anemia (chronic kidney disease)
- Kidney stones in children
Meet our expert
We give dedicated service to the children with kidney diseases and help to make their lifestyle comparable to healthy pear-group.
We Offer treatment and care for
Protein loss in the urine (Due to nephrotic and nephritic syndrome, Systemic diseases like systemic lupus erythematosus, Henoch schonlein purpura etc.)
- Acute kidney injury
- Chronic Kidney Diseases
- Recurrent Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Neurogenic bladder abnormalities
- Kidney stones
- Haemolytic uremic syndrome
- Neonatal AKI, Dyselectrolytemia
- Consultation and counselling for antenatal & postnatal hydronephrosis, cystic kidney diseases.
- Pediatric kidney transplantation
Key Procedures conducted
- Kidney biopsy (ultrasound guided)
- Dialysis-peritoneal, hemodialysis, CAPD, CRRT
- Central vein catheterization
- Kidney Transplantation