Prof. (Dr.) Sharma is associated with Psychiatry, Behavioral Science and Medical Education for over 50 years. He has vast experience in the field of Psychiatry, especially in the field of Depression, Anxiety Disorders , Mood Disorders, Psychosomatic Disorders , Sleep Problems and others behavioral problems. He has published 9 books/ monographs and over 200 scientific papers.
Past Academic and Administrative experience-
- Director- Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences, Government of Delhi (1993-96)
- Additional Director General - Health Services in the Ministry of Health , Government of India (1991-93)
- Former Director - Post Graduate Institute of Medical , Education and Research, Chandigarh(1990-91)
- Medical Superintendent, Safdarjung General Hospital, New Delhi (1986-88)
- Director & Professor , Central Institute of Psychiatry , Govt. of India, Ranchi (1981-86)
- Professor & Head of the Dept. of Psychiatry, Goa Medical College(1968-81)
- Professor of Psychiatry, Medical college, Baroda (1965-68)
Prof. (Dr.) S.D Sharma was Hony. Physician to the President of India (1989-93).
He was bestowed with the prestigious Dr. B.C Roy National Award in 1981
He is the only Psychiatrist who was a member of the Cabinet Sub- committee, Government of India , on Drug Abuse.